Chris's Reviews > How They Met and Other Stories

How They Met and Other Stories by David Levithan

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: 50books2012
Read from July 30 to August 07, 2012

I hardly give .5's, even in the exams I give my students, but since this is a compilation of short stories, here is the 3.5. I liked it -- but not really liked it. There were stories that were aww-worthy, but there were also stories that I just chose to browse through.

The book's title and premise make it appealing; I admit, that's what made me pick up this one in the first place. But I really can't say exactly why I feel quite unsatisfied. From his other books, I don't think I'm a big David Levithan fan. There's something in his writing that's a bit half-baked for me. His characters are sometimes more annoying than endearing. You want to love the characters, but there's something about the way that they are developed that make me feel otherwise, or nothing at all. How sad, really.

But despite these, I do have my favorite storied from this collection.

"Starbucks Boy"
"The Number of People Who Meet on Airplanes" (The One That Tops My List!)
"A Romantic Inclination" (Something that I must make Mitch read!)
"Memory Dance"

"The Number of People Who Meet on Airplanes" is my favorite among the stories. Just when you think that the story has satisfied you, it gives you a little bit more. And that "little bit" makes things more beautiful and aww-ful.

"A Romantic Inclination" -- the setting is in Physics class, and told in that context. Very cute.

So I guess that's the thing with David Levithan -- beautiful story lines, but forgettable characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How They Met and Other Stories.

08/04/2012 page 60
08/05/2012 page 102
40.0% "Absolutely loved "The Number of People Who Meet on Planes.""
08/07/2012 page 184
72.0% ""A Romantic Inclination" is another bittersweet favorite. Must photocopy for Mitch to read!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Raina (new)

Raina Reyes Have you read Lovers Dictionary? That's really the only David Levithan book I've read!

Chris Any good? I've been seeing it in Fully Booked!