Tara's Reviews > Scarlet

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: kindle, young-adult
Read from August 25 to 27, 2012

Review:

This is one of the books I’ve been most excited about this year. I love the story of Robin Hood, and I have since I was a child, but I’ve never read a version where one of the “merry men” was a girl.

I’ve got to admit, the cover for this one drew me in for a start. I think it suits the story, and I really like the font. I know that’s a bit of a strange comment, but it’s true! I love the depiction of Scarlet, and it worked for me.

In terms of the story itself now, I loved it. It took on the Robin Hood legends and twisted them just enough to keep them fresh, but without losing any of the lore behind it. Some people have commented on the way it was written – but I thought it actually added some authenticity to the story, and added to the characters themselves.

I loved Robin – he was the typical hero he’s always made out to be, and the dynamics between him and the rest of the group, and how he is with the townspeople. I also liked the small insights Scar gets to Robin’s way of thinking – for me as a reader it really helped me understand why he acted the way he did, and this added to his depth as a character.

As for Scar herself – I love how she’s unwilling to give up some of her girliness, what with not wanting to cut her hair, and yet how she’s desperate to be accepted as one of the guys. I loved how complicated she was, and how she won’t even admit her own feelings to herself. I liked her being pigheaded and stubborn, it just works. I love the backstory she’s got too – again, I just really felt that she worked as a character.

The romance between Robin and Scar (Oh come on, that’s hardly a spoiler) was well done, and I like the way it softly smolders throughout the book and yet somehow doesn’t rule the story. I have to admit, I was a little worried that this would somehow turn the Robin Hood story into a YA romance, but that doesn’t happen at all.

This was a very refreshing, enjoyable take on the Robin Hood story, and I’d thoroughly recommend it, especially to those who have only seen the Disney version!

Overall rating: 4.5/4
Writing: 5/5
Originality: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
My Enjoyment: 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.