Lina's Reviews > Ella Enchanted

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Jul 29, 2012

bookshelves: children-books, children-fantasy, fairytale
Read from July 29 to 30, 2012

Well, I can certainly say I enjoyed this book a lot more than the movie. It was a very charming and cute, but I think I sort of prefer Just Ella to this work in particular. Anyway, this book is about a young girl named Ella who is cursed with the gift of obedience, which was given to her by an empty-headed fairy who was unaware of how this might affect the young child. As a result of the curse Ella was do anything she is directly commanded to do, any resistance to this causes pain and different forms of uncomfortable feelings. Due to this she is often manipulated by the people around her. Finally having enough of that, Ella decided to go on a journey to get her independence back.

Ella's story was an interesting one, because no matter how much she might want to resist she simply can not break the curse set upon her. While she does get back and makes efforts to assert herself that spell bogs everything up. The narrative is very clear to tell us that she will even do things that would cause her harm or sorrow, like chopping her own head off. Thinking about that as I read I couldn't help but imagine all the sort of direct phrases we use around people and what would happen if Ella met up with one of the more vulgar members of society.
The middle of the book meandered around for a bit, but it was still fun to read. What I particularly enjoyed was the ending and how the curse is uplifted. It as a much stronger message than the stupid was it was resolved in the film. Speaking of the film, I honestly think it should be wiped from people's memories.

Ella Enchanted was a cute little fairy-tale story, with a very strong female lead. I feel like the rest of the characters are sort of just there, which is why I rated this book lower.

Am I the only one who thought of Charmander every time they referred to the prince as Char?

3.5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ella Enchanted.

07/29/2012 "I hated the movie, but I heard this was totally different so I'm giving it a shot."

message 1: by Dakota (new) - added it

Dakota Okay, that Charmander thing was funny, but I never thought of it. And I hated the movie. I felt cheated.

message 2: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger I kept thinking about charbroiled burgers. At least, I thought that while watching the movie.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I do remember liking it WAY more than the movie. So many good people in such a bad film.