Benjamin Uminsky's Reviews > The Rain Dancers

The Rain Dancers by Greg F. Gifune

Aug 16, 2012

Read from July 20 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

This was a very enjoyable novella by the usually excellent Greg Gifune. His last novella published by Dark Fuse left a bit to be desired, but this seemed to incorporate all the usual elements of what makes Gifune's stories so compelling.

Gifune starts us off with a slow build of tension between our protagonist, Will Colby, and our antagonist, Bob Laurent. The story begins with a mutely menacing awkward social interaction between Will, Bob, and Will's wife Betty, in which we see Will slowly realize that something is very wrong with their recently invited guest, Bob. His wife Betty is frustratingly oblivious to Bob's inappropriate overtures, while Will grows increasingly desperate to unmask Bob's true intentions. These overtures grow increasingly inappropriate, in an effort to goad Will into acting rashly. Gifune nicely explores that arena of social convention, asking the reader to figure out where one should draw the line when an invited guest begins to exert his will over you. At what point do you say enough is enough.

Imagine that this story progresses in this fashion until Bob unveils a stark truth about Betty to Will. A credit to Gifune for giving us an excellent story with believable characters and deliciously awkward social interaction.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rain Dancers.

07/30/2012 page 198