Paula Weston's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Dec 13, 12

bookshelves: my-favourites, ya-paranormal, fantasy
Read in December, 2012

Wow. Just...wow.

I've had a great run of late with books that shine with originality. Daughter of Smoke and Bone almost needs its own category. The world and mythology Laini Taylor has created (more gothic fantasy than paranormal) is nothing short of stunning.

Reading this was like reading Harry Potter for the first time: the world and characters feel so real you can't help but believe they've always existed.

The story is rich, complex and exquisitely heart-breaking. And Laini Taylor's writing. Sublime.

The Prague setting is breath-taking - actually the entire story is rich with evocative imagery. Karou and Akiva are multi-faceted, complex and utterly engaging narrators, and their supporting characters - especially the chimaera - add depth and colour.

The theme of the futility of war - and how it twists and taints those involved - comes through strongly, and I suspect this will be the driving motif of the series (along with the question of whether Karou and Akiva can ever find peace in the wake of the events in Daughter of Smoke and Bone).

And let's not forget the plot: the intrigue, heightened by a clever narrative structure, make this a tense page-turner.

The overwhelming praise for this book is so warranted. An instant favourite. I'll be getting my hands on Days of Blood and Starlight very, very soon.

(Thanks to Trinity for encouraging me to read this one now, rather than waiting...)
6 likes · flag

11/29/2012 "I can't resist this one any longer. I've heard too many wonderful things (and 20 pages in, I'm already hooked)."

Trisha Be interesting to see how you go with #2. It's quite different.

Paula Weston Yes, I've heard that. Curious to see where the story goes.

Trisha dark dark places...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorgeous review Paula :) Cannot wait for you to read the next one!!