Claudia's Reviews > The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything

The Speed of Trust by Stephen M.R. Covey

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012-book-challenge-160-books, nonfiction
Read from July 29 to 30, 2012

While Covey (son of the 'famous' Covey)sets out a great argument for trust in businesses, I, of course, look through the lens of an educator. I think the part that resonated the most with me was the first section on self trust, and the section about organizational trust. Sometimes I found the parallels, sometimes I didn't.

Self trust...believing in your mission, your purpose. Trusting YOURSELF to make good decisions, to reach out to others, to inspire trust. That is exactly what should happen in a classroom.

And the other section, about organizations, helped me look, not only at my own school, but the profession and helped me analyze part of the reason public education seems so mired in disfunction right now. We don't trust each other. We're coming from different stances, we don't understand, and we haven't taken the time to really trust.

One thing that I kept noticing, like an underlying theme, is a huge problem I have with corporate reform...the need to change, be different, mix things up. That's what 'reformers' are doing. They're playing with education, with my profession. Let's try this, let's try that. It's kids' lives they're messing with as they try this, and then try that. BUT that's the climate they're comfortable with, because they are not dealing with lives...they're dealing with services or products. They can afford to be very very wrong...they just start over with new products. We in education have to pick up wounded kids and try to restore their confidence...So, I feel like I understand better.

The thing about trust is that it has an opposite, and also a counterfeit. The opposite is easy. The counterfeit? What an interesting concept. That's the person who tells you she trusts you while she's plotting something that will work to her advantage and your disadvantage. Wow. I know people (men and women) who can do that with ease.

I got tired of counting...five waves, 13 behaviors...I got tired of the Covey vocabulary...tax, dividend, withdrawals, deposits...Kept wondering why 5, why 13. That actually distracted me as I would count them off...

Lots of great lines...some of Covey's and some he's found to illustrate his points.

What Gandhi thinks, what he says and what he does are all the same...

My life is an indivisible whole, and all my activities run into one another. My life is my message ~ Gandhi

Listen First means to listen to yourself, to your gut feelings, your own inner voice before you decide, before you act

Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great.

Leadership is getting results in a way that inspires trust.

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn ~ Alvin Toffler

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don't trust enough ~ Frank Crane

Extending trust to others rekindles the inner spirit

AND: HIGH TRUST COMPANIES OUT PERFORM LOW TRUST COMPANIES. That brings me back to my education parallels. We are now living and working in a climate of little or NO trust. Yet we're being punished if we don't reach the results OTHERS ('reformers') have set for us. We don't trust them; they sure as heck don't trust us. The climate is toxic until someone begins to trust. I see it at the state level with our SDE; and at the national level.

I saw no solution in this book, no breakthrough...but I did find inspiration to go back to my classroom and build that trust, one student at a time!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Speed of Trust.

07/29/2012 page 76
20.0% "Good reminder about why we value what we do"