Haley's Reviews > The Flight of Gemma Hardy

620480
Jul 29, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

** spoiler alert ** 3 stars is on the generous side--probably 2.5 stars would more accurately describe my feelings. Overall, I can't help but feel that this book is a disappointment. Jane Eyre is my favorite novel and this modern-day version just didn't cut it for me. I thought the changes from the original were fine and some were clever, but in my opinion Livesey focused on the wrong areas of the story of Jane Eyre. She spent a long time leading up to Blackbird Hall/Thornfield and then spent a lot of time on the story after Thornfield. But the time spent at Blackbird/Thornfield was definitely lacking! And that's the best part of the story, in my opinion! Coco (Blanche) was introduced too soon where I didn't feel like there was really a connection between Gemma and Mr. Sinclair yet. I didn't "fall in love" with Mr. Sinclair along with Gemma, and the age difference bothered me a lot more in this version than the original. The reason that Gemma decides to flee marriage was totally lame. (I listened to it instead of reading it, so I hope I caught all the details for why she decided to leave, but it just didn't seem that huge of a problem as opposed to the original Jane Eyre where Rochester has a living wife!) I did think it cute that Mr. Sinclair looks for her all that time while she's away from him and surprises her by being on the plane and immediately taking her hand. The book had its good moments, but overall it came up short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flight of Gemma Hardy.