April's Reviews > While It Lasts

While It Lasts by Abbi Glines

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: nook, epub, surprise-me-good
Read from July 30 to 31, 2012

How can words on a page be formed together in such a way that you are left to believe in the perfection of story telling? Read this book and you'll discover it's because Abbi Glines freakin ROCKS!! Seriously, How does she keep getting better? In honor of the Olympics, which my tv is playing 24-7, I will not only give this five huge stars, but a gold medal as well!!

You had me at the Prologue. I was crying, lip quivering, sob burning my throat, as I got my first look at Eva. This amazing story begins with a loss that cuts so deep, it seems this young woman will never be more than a shell of her former self. Eva's only love Josh, the boy from next door, dies at war. He leaves behind crushed and broken dreams of a life that will never be for a girl who wanted nothing more than to love him forever. As I read a letter, and catch a glimpse at what their life had been together, my heart sinks like it been filled lead, a grief that's not my own.

Moving forward. The story begins eighteen months later when Cage, or as I like to call him "Sweet Hottness," is dropped off on Eva's doorstep. Being banished to the country to work on a farm, in order to not lose his scholarship after a stupid DUI, seemed like his idea of hell. Now it seemed his idea of hell with a nice view, until she opened her snippy little mouth. This hot farmers daughter lets him know very quickly that she's not the least bit impressed with him at all. From his cocky smile, obvious drinking problem, and horrible attitude, it's clear she needs to stay far away from this messed up college boy.

Spoiler

Cage and Eva's story weaves together beautifully to share how broken hearts can mend, how unfeeling hearts can feel, and even the most unworthy (him for never having loved, her for moving on while Josh can't) find worth in each other! The bad boy and his straight forward attitude will draw you in and leave you wanting more. You will find yourself rooting for the sweet country girl to be whole and happy again. This is a story of trust, taking chances and many firsts.

I live to read stories like this one. Abbi Glines is a rock star and needs some serious praise for writing skills. This story will suck you in and keep you hoping, laughing, crying, and panting! If there was any doubt as to if you should read this book, file that away and start it NOW! No reservations, jump in and find you'll have a new favorite author waiting for you when you're done!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While It Lasts.

07/31/2012 "Prologue. I'm choking back sobs, my throat is closing, eyes burning and all in the first two pages.... What an amazing, loving, heart gripping letter!------This is why I love books! Movies could never elicit this kind of emotion from me."