Erin's Reviews > The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window

Jul 29, 12

liked it
bookshelves: reality, young-adult
Read in July, 2012

Well, first of all, I did spend much of the weekend compulsively reading this book and ignoring humanity so I have to admit that it kept me hooked from the moment I started it, but it has some serious flaws. There were lots of grammar mistakes and problems with tenses, which are okay when they happen in goodreads reviews but it is damn distracting if I am mentally editing a book while I read it. At least one mistake per three pages, and possibly more. Also, I found the characters in the book, particularly the secondary characters, really unrealistic. This book has "missing-parents-syndrome" to the unrealistic extreme, the portrayal of doctors is inaccurate in order to serve the plot, and what the hell is up with this high school?! I don't want to slut shame, and I know other reviewers mentioned it, but seriously what high school is this? The portrayal of sex and teenagers doesn't match up with my view of reality at all.
As an aside, while I love goodreads, and my fellow reviewers, I read some reviews when I first started reading the book which revealed two huge plot points--the reviews gave no warnings for spoilers--and my reading of the book was significantly altered. Boo spoilers people!
So that is what I didn't like, unrealistic characters and views on teen sexuality, bad grammar and spoilers.
All that said, I demolished this book and enjoyed the read even amidst my frequent eye-rolling. Liam is a huge sweetheart. Sexy, sweet, thoughtful, and in love with our literal girl-next-door heroine. He is, simply, completely unrealistic and my dream guy. He is escapist reading at its finest, and I don't really have a problem with that. I liked Amber for the most part, but her reaction to some events in the book I thought were kinda crazy, just saying. Jake was great as the over protective brother. Great (if completely unrealistic) characters and thoroughly addictive read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Erin! Sometimes it's a great pleasure to ignore humanity for a bit :)