C.penn's Reviews > Starling

Aug 27, 12

Recommended for: Readers of Mortal Instruments, Adventure, Mythology
Read from July 27 to August 27, 2012

Starling was Startling!!!

From the moment you meet Mason Starling at her fencing practice you know there are secrets untold and things better left unsaid at Gosforth Academy.

How else do you explain:
The storm zombies
The naked golden haired warrior
Her hateful brother Rory
Her crippling claustrophobia.

It all goes too far back to times too ancient for average girl Mason Starling to ever comphrehend.

After a freak storm smashes their gym to smithereens and they are invaded by pale misshapen creatures called the Draugr, The Fennrys Wolf Appears on the scene, savagely defeats them with his sword--but not before the all around most handsome boy whom Mason is falling for and vice versa--Calum Aristarchos is scarred for life.

They wait out the storm in the cellar, and when Mason, Rory, Heather Palmerston--her supposed arch nemesis-- Calum and their coach Toby awake, The Fennrys Wolf has vanished, along with Toby's combat boots and Rory's wad of cash. They all vow to never speak of the horrifying supernatural events that occured in that gym.

When they are discovered Mason and Rory are spirited away back to their estate where Gunnar Starling, also known as Top Gunn, begins to rekindle his plans for a mad dream. An absolutely mad dream.

The families that founded Gosforth are no ordinary families with ordinary lives--no they have promises to uphold, allegiances to keep, destinies to fulfill serving far greather being than themselves. But only Gunnar Starling has ever been charged with this special brand of well intentioned insanity.

End the World.

Starling is pure adventure from start to finish with an ending that comes racing at you from all sides leaving you absolutely breathless and gasping for more. I thoroughly enjoyed Livingston's prose and character developement, although there are definetly some characters I need to see more of--she has a wonderful cast that I imagine can only improve. I eagerly await the sequel.

That is, if the world doesn't end first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starling.

08/09/2012 "off to a bit of a slow start, but I believe it' s picking up now!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

C.penn I haven't had as much time to devote to reading lately, but it's picking up now--excited for how this unfurls