Tiffany's Reviews > Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter

Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica

Dec 16, 08

bookshelves: memoirs, 2008
Recommended for: Waiters ... duh!
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

I of course found this amusing, considering I was a waitress for three years. Serving supported me through college, and the money was good. Waiter Rant is an extremely accurate portrayal of the restaurant industry, both in the way the author describes the customers and the staff's reactions to the not-so-great ones. (However, I'm proud to say I've never "crop-dusted" a table.) He didn't really tell me anything I didn't know, though. You don't have to be a server to know they don't like bad tips and rude customers, and sometimes the book did feel very "blog-like" (which some people might like, I don't know). Some of the anecdotes were still funny, though, even if they weren't brilliantly written.

Toward the end of the book, I did find myself rooting for the author. While the writing wasn't all that strong, he did manage to surprise me with a small glimpse into his soul on top of the very candid view of the restaurant business. He was funny and witty, too. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's ever waited tables, just for kicks. Hell, all my friends who are still serving want to borrow it immediately.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiter Rant.

12/14/2008 page 82
27.15% "So far, extremely accurate about the restaurant world."
12/16/2008 page 202
66.89% "Funny and informative. Also the light read I needed after Wasted."

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Even though you gave it 3 stars, I have requested this book from the library, as they have it! (I often read a book from there first, and then, if I like it, buy it. Of course I have bought stacks of books -- especially in the past few months.) But anyway, the reason I want to read this, is because one of the characters in my novel does a stint as a waitress...So, thanks again! :)

Tiffany Yeah, I thought it was pretty hilarious. It's great if you're in the mood for something particularly light after a heavy read.