Judy's Reviews > Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith

Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott

Jul 29, 12

Read in July, 2012

Anne Lamott has written a series of essays dealing with faith within the context of the realities of daily life that makes readers feel as if she has been where they are in their spiritual journeys. While many of the same topics crop up in these essays as in previous books--Anne's family, her addictions, and her politics, in this volume, love, charity, empathy, and forgiveness take center stage. Anne confesses that she has even stopped hating some of her prime targets, saying, "I don't hate anyone right now, not even George W. Bush. This man seem an impossibility, but it is true and indicates the presence of grace or dementia, or both." Anne admits that many of our emotions never changes as we age, but our ability to control our behavior does. Saying, "Sometimes I act just as juvenile as I ever did, but as I get older I do it for shorter periods of time.",I felt as if she was talking directly to me. And while her sarcasm, black humor, and honesty appeal to me, many of the essays were repetitive because the stories had been told in previous books. Anne, I love you. Give us more original reflections on life and faith. So often, I find your musings right on target.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grace (Eventually).