Justin Olson's Reviews > Cross

Cross by James Patterson

Jul 29, 12

To his credit, Patterson writes in a way that allows you to speed through the book at a breakneck pace and as such find yourself far enough to keep with it, "just one more quick chapter", until hours go by and you finish it. Not many authors can accomplish such a feat, but once I was finished and sat back I had to analyze the book as a whole and found it wasn't all that substantial in the grand scheme.

I jumped in at book 12 because I know a movie is coming and read this was what it was to be based on. The book should have been titled "the Butcher" because this serial rapist/killer had far more chapters and development than our hero Alex Cross who doesn't really do anything extraordinary as far as solving his wife's murder or going after her alleged killer. Alex and company are never ahead of the killer and I will avoid spoilers by saying the ending elicited more sighs of resignation than any feeling of satisfaction. Now I'm hoping the film utilizes a more creative way of adaptation in order to punch things up, make Alex Cross more dynamic. I'm not opposed to reading a few more Alex Cross books but this one left me with a shrug.

At least it was a quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross.