Patrick's Reviews > The Best of Spider-Man: Volume 1

The Best of Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski

Jul 29, 12

Read in July, 2012

I enjoyed this Best-Of series a lot. While I was obviously coming in to a story that had been ongoing for 30 years or so, I didn't feel confused or left behind. Straczynski did a nice job here.

It's a character centered story, which I like. And there's a surprising amount of subtlety in the storytelling, with time taken for beautiful digressions. I really liked the entire issue devoted to Rhino, and told from his point of view.

Given that he's a character that's dumb as a hammer who mostly specializes in running through walls, you wouldn't think it would be a particularly compelling story. But it was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of Spider-Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Not read any graphic novels/comics for ages, really should do though :) Maybe start with a Spiderman comic, or maybe Batman. Any recommendations for a good place to start?

Patrick The Dark Knight Returns.

message 3: by Maco (new)

Maco Cacioli First, you can read "Batman: Year One"

message 4: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Snow The hard part of starting any comic series is with the extensive crossovers, the revamps, and the long standing events, if you find the wrong point to start at, you walk in blind, like catching a story driven show or movie halfway through. It was the only thing that kept me away from comics. I need to find a good spot to jump in.