Donna's Reviews > The Good Dream

The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere

Jul 29, 2012

liked it
Read from July 29 to August 01, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This book read like a fairy tale and was nice as far as fairy tales go. But I would have liked to see more realism here. It told the tale of a lonely spinster who thinks her life might improve when a man comes courting, but discovers love of a different kind, from a different source entirely.

What I liked about this book were the main characters--Ivorie, her brother, Henry, and the little boy Peter. I was rooting for them all the way, especially Peter. What I didn't like was how the issue of abuse was never addressed, and how there was no resolution and no closure concerning the abuser and the person who abandoned the boy to that man. While I am all for forgiveness, I found it unbelievable in this case. What kind of message does this send to Peter who will have no justice? And what about the man who attacked Ivorie? How can she and her brother not care? Is this turn the other cheek, or turn your back on reality? Oh well, it was a mostly pleasant read with the right amount of angst--a middle of the road book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Dream.