Christy Luis's Reviews > Dear John

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Jul 29, 12

Well.
I read two of Sparks' books in the last month, because I've heard good things about them. I had to try them...but gosh, this one just left me depressed! I don't think I'll be reading any more of these.
The writing was good. Sparks wrote these characters and their decisions well. This book is a good example of a writer staying true to his characters. John, the MC, made the right decision, so we admire him by the end. He doesn't get a happy ending, though, because of a different character's decisions. Sparks didn't pull any punches, in this novel. John's honor stays intact, but his life doesn't.
I hate the way this book made me feel. Literally, listless. I had to consciously pull myself together, afterwards.
I firmly belief we have important purposes in life, and meaningful plans laid out for us. The main character of this book felt "empty" at the end, and that makes me sad. The right path can be hard to follow, but it doesn't strip our life of meaning. John wasn't a bad guy. He was a good guy...and good guys shouldn't feel empty.
And neither should readers. I don't like books that leave us depressed about our lives, rather than inspired to do good.
So, the implications of this book bother me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.