Kathy's Reviews > How I Came to Sparkle Again

How I Came to Sparkle Again by Kaya McLaren

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, brain-candy, contains-fluffy-creatures
Read from August 09 to 11, 2012

I characterized this book as "light" when I first received it, then reconsidered (the themes of death, recovery,longing, etc are pretty strong throughout), and finally think...yes, it is a light read. Not that it is bad at all; it is in fact a very engaging book with characters one cares about and some very funny episodes amongst the tears. It is light because...you just know that everything is going to turn out okay, in the best traditions of light reading. No worries; good will find good, hearts will be healed, beauty will shine through the world. In that way it is a feel good book. But..it's not all fluffy; it is one of those books that engages the heart (and tells the mind to go sit in a corner and behave itself).

Now, I've received communications from family members in my life much like those our heroine gets (via email in this book, cause it's modern times now). Mine were letters. Not the same denomination, but the same theme of "oh, we are so sorry you are gonna burn in hell" (or in this case, not be in the same special rank in heaven as the good family members). But I was a little uncomfortable on behalf of anyone who might pick up this book and might belong to the church our heroine's parents are part of. It's not a church I know much about, but my fair-play obsession was going "well, surely not everyone is as bad as that".

Loved Uncle Howard, who talks just like my own philosophic strange partner (and reminded me of Jane Langton's Homer--you know the guy who is obsessed with Thoreau and such? Though Howard is more obsessed with Hesse). Loved the dogs. Loved Cassie, though I'm not sure she is a fully believable 10 year old...but hey, I was having my mind go sit in a corner, so I didn't have to fuss about such things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Came to Sparkle Again.

08/09/2012 page 1
0.0% "Just rec'd (thank you Goodreads First Reads program). Shall make this my next rather light read (at least that's what it looks to be, could be wrong). Pretty cover."
08/10/2012 page 100
28.0% "Okay, so maybe "light" isn't quite the description one wants for this book, what with the miscarriage, betrayal, and small child who has lost her mom themes. But it is paradoxically an easy and engrossing read."