Rozonda's Reviews > The Mysterious Island

The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne

Jul 29, 12

Read in July, 2012

I re-read this book thanks to my Amazon Kindle, and I found it as fascinating and charming as I did when I first read it, in an almost full version, at the age of eight (I was surprised to find how little the editors of that children's version had suppressed- the book was almost exactly the same). I'm more conscious now of some details of this book, as the lack of female characters (a "sin" often commited by authors of Verne's time) or the idealization of characters, which are all strong and good(even Ayrton, the marooned bad guy, becomes a model of repentance)- curiously, the most "human" of them in this aspect is Captain Nemo, who admits having led a life with good and bad choices and abides by them. All the same, the richness and interest of the plot, the elegance of the language and the noble ideals defended by Verne make it a book I would like my children to read, if I had children. Verne was one of the authors who taught me to love reading and I think he has done the same for many people.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Island.