Wordsmith's Reviews > As Seen on TV: Provocations

As Seen on TV by Lucy Grealy

Jul 29, 2012

bookshelves: topfavorites, philosophy, poetry-shortstory, literature, favorite-author, feminism, star-five, linguistic-marksmanship, non-fiction, have-reviewed, ranking-2012-reads-processing
Recommended for: Reflective Ponderable People
Read from June 03 to 04, 2012 , read count: 1

Highly recommended. Lucy Grealy is one of the best writers I've come across this year and her early demise is a loss on many levels. One of these levels is the small amount of work she left for us to read and ponder upon. Because that's the kind of things she writes about; ponderable things, issues, thoughts and images for us to reflect on. One amazing woman.

Addendum: After reading some other reviews of Lucy Grealy's work, other readers reflections and opinions on Lucy's writing, it appears she is one of these authors you either love or hate, you get or not, you'll drop out or take in. She does have a unique way of expressing herself. The language is quite distinct, the wording is point blank, all hers, and yes that makes it nothing but honest, in your face. There are only a few authors I've read who can pull this off without getting an egg thrown in their face. Let's face it, most write words so conventional, let's not rock any boats today. But Lucy Grealy threw convention to the wind with the words that came straight from her gut. What, after all, did she have to lose, after all she had already been through? I would like to read more of her work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Seen on TV.