Patrick's Reviews > When I Grow up: A Memoir

When I Grow up by Juliana Hatfield

Nov 28, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in November, 2008

So I'm not her biggest fan, I only have the "Become What You Are" album, but when I saw she wrote an autobiography, it piqued my curiosity, and my expectations were EXTREMELY exceeded. I had no idea she was capable of something this interesting and insightful. The chapters alternate from daily journal entries on her then-current tour and a history of her rise to semi-prominence with the hit single, "My Sister." A lot of the writing isn't even about music, it's just biographical musings from a fellow lone wolf. Juliana describes the highs and lows of touring, the joy of writing a song, depression, the futility of love/relationships (especially with musicians with addiction problems), eating disorders, stalkers, diminishing audiences, annoying promoters, etc. She dishes, disses, and dismisses some of her contemporaries (not always naming names, which was annoying), calls out the evils of the major labels, Clinton's corporate-media-consolidating Telecommunications Act, and Clear Channel, this book covers a lot of interesting subjects. There's even a chapter just on how much she liked the Replacements/Paul Westerberg. A must-read for any Gen Xers who came of age during the "alt-rock boom" of the 90's. I liked this so much I would rank it among my favorites documenting that period--"Our Band Could be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991," "Route 666: On the Road to Nirvana," and "Fool the World: An Oral History of the Pixies."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I Grow up.

11/24/2008 page 197