Wealhtheow's Reviews > Blindsight

Blindsight by Peter Watts

Jul 30, 07

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in January, 2007

Really interesting, chock full of ideologies, debates, and fascinating new technologies. It's great scifi. The only problem is that I completely disagree with the main premise of the book, which turns out to be that sentience is in fact a *problem* rather than Our Specialness. It's a cool twist to the usual first contact with alien life scenario, but unfortunately it makes no sense to me. I just don't get it. Yeah, a consciousness means that you second guess decisions and are slower to make them, so from an evolutionary standpoint it may not be the best ability to have. Maybe when we get into space, the very fact that we know we exist will be the death of us. I am so fine with that. If the other option is life without awareness, I don't care that it makes me less likely to survive a space battle. I thought I was arguing this against Watts until near the very end of the book, and even then I'm not sure what his stance on the issue is. If you're looking for a mind fuck, go for this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blindsight.