Michael's Reviews > The Life and Death of Planet Earth: How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World

The Life and Death of Planet Earth by Peter D. Ward

Oct 31, 07

bookshelves: eschatology
Recommended for: non-scientists
Read in October, 2007

This book was not meant for me. I am already clutching my head often thanks to the excess wordage and simplified explanations. Thankfully, the core material (the eventual destruction of our planet) is still interesting. I am also glad that the authors chose to postpone talk of terraforming or moving to other planets until the end, as that would have distracted from the primary message of the book.

EDIT: It became less fluffy toward the end and thus I starred it anew. Although, I have to say, the line between realism and pessimism in this book is razor-thin!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Death of Planet Earth.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

If this was scientifically weak, can you recommend other books on the subject?

Michael It's not that the science is weak - I'm just used to "scientific writing" as opposed to "popular science writing". Much of the source material for the book is journal articles and whatnot which they have condensed for the book.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Nobody wants to read your SCIENCE-Y writing, dude.