Emily's Reviews > All Moms Go to Heaven

972022
Nov 19, 2008

liked it
Read in November, 2008

This gets 3 stars not because it was not a great book. I liked the book a lot. However, it has instilled a sense of dread in me. So, for giving me a sense of dread, the book should really get zero stars. But there were enough ha-ha moments that it earned 5 stars for that. So, I had to go with half way in between. Hence, three stars.

Dean Hughes points out at that being a mother is a very difficult job and you have to put your children’s needs ahead of yours. Ok, I am selfish (and lazy). I’m not selfish with donations and stuff. If some need kids need Christmas presents, I’ll buy some. I donate food that I would actually eat when I give food to the food pantry (ie, no lima beans or celery. Even if I was poor and starving, I would eat my shoes before I’d put celery in my mouth!) But man oh man when I want to read my book all evening, I don’t look kindly on things that interrupt that. I also like to be able to run in and out of Walmart really quick (in only 45 minutes, cuz seriously, no trip to Walmart is actually “quick”. I always seem to get stuck between oblivious aisle blocking people. One day you will probably hear on the news about a woman who went berserk in Walmart and started ramming everything with her cart and screaming, “Get the hell out of my way! I just need a can of shaving cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” That woman will be me.)

So, anyways, having someone totally dependent on me and yet who does not obey my every command is scary to me. You might be thinking, “Emily, you have cats. They NEVER obey you.” Right. That’s true. But I can lock them in the bathroom overnight and it is not considered abuse. And if there really was some major problem, I could put them to sleep. Again, that is totally illegal with kids.

So, anyways, lovely book, and very encouraging for those who are already mothers. However, if you are not already a mother, you will just think that the whole thing sounds like a whole lot of work. Hopefully something will click or snap when I become a mother. Cross your fingers!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Moms Go to Heaven.

Cortney Em- you are too funny! Why didn't we talk about the book at book club tonight? We started to... and now, after reading your review, I wish we had so I could have heard more of your thoughts.

So Dean has you scared about motherhood and I have you scared about pregnancy (to anyone else reading this- NO, I AM NOT PREGNANT, we simply talked about pregnancy). Great- Dean and I are going to prevent you from embarking on the thrilling, scary adventure of motherhood.

message 2: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Nothing will change. I felt that way before Benjamin, and I still feel that way. Since you and I are half clones of each other (except weirdly, you like Hillary Clinton), I am afraid your beliefs will not change.

However, you can become a stay at home mom and read your book while your kid naps. Or, let him watch Cars 40 times and read your book. Or let him go play in the street while you read a book on the porch and (kinda) watch. I actually have loads more free time with a kid than I ever did before. I was a super crazy busy lady back in the day, now my days are way calmer and relaxed. I read, exercise, nap, make nice dinners... I totally never had time/energy for those things before a kid.

Walmart trips are never fast, and lots of times involve yelling (me or Benjamin). But he is pretty funny running in and out of clothing racks, trying to hide from me. K, not really. It drives me crazy. But HE thinks it's the most hilarious game ever invented. At least one of us is happy.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly And that's why I avoid Walmart at all costs!

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle In my experience, motherhood makes you way less selfish, in a not painful way. I see family life as, "The Law of Consecration for Dummies." You don't have to try, really, it just happens.

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy You know for some odd reason and I have not been able to put my finger on it yet I hate watching some documentaries or reading some books on parenting. There is an element missing that they just can not capture, that is the element that makes it so worth it in the end. It bothers me that I don't know quite what it is and that there is research and programs that are supposed to be "helpful" and "educational", that make me hate the idea of motherhood. So I just think about people like Jane Clayson Johnson and then I know who I am and that what I am doing is so important. I still want to read her book. I absolutley love being a mom. It is by far one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life and there are days (and weeks) when I would like to throw in the towel. Just last week we watched a documentary in my Parenting class on Parenthood, it made me feel like I NEVER NEVER want to be a parent, which is strange because I am and I enjoy being a parent. Maybe if I psycho analize this long enough I can figure it out. It is so true that when they are your own it is different.