Jojo's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Mar 28, 14

bookshelves: read2007, young-adult, fantasy
Read in July, 2007

Overall it's a good end to the series. Everything wrapped up and so on. I loved the ending; I hated the completely unnecessary epilogue with a fiery passion.

Definitely in need of editing though, both to cut down the length and to polish the writing. I think Rowling has a fantastic imagination and has created a wonderfully interesting world, but I think her talent for imagining a good story is greater than her talent for actually writing it.

As much as I adore Lupin (he's my most favorite character), I would have rather gone without him in this book than deal with his subplot. Not because I didn't like what Rowling was doing with him but because it just felt so tacked on. It could have been super interesting if there had been time to really explore what was going on in his head; as it was, the book was too long to allow for it. Boo.

Neville is the best ever and I adore him ridiculously a lot.

Luna is lovely lovely lovely.

I was rather pleased that, despite his Dursleyness, Dudley managed to turn out all right.

And I was rather surprised to find that, after disliking him for the first six books, I kind of adore Dumbledore after the seventh.

Anyway, it was good. I enjoyed reading it. Not my favorite of the series, but a better ending than I think I was expecting. (I'm pretty sure this one will not translate well to the screen though. All the interesting stuff happens in the past to people who aren't Harry and there's so much wandering about getting nowhere.)

Now I kind of want to read the whole series straight through, beginning to end.