Leslie's Reviews > La Bâtarde

La Bâtarde by Violette Leduc

Feb 17, 2009

Read in February, 2009

Violette LeDuc is needy and she knows it. She stages suicides. She delights when her big nose halts elevator eyes. She’s prone to romantic friendships and poor boundaries; as a result she’s always unhinged. I particularly love her in obsessive-romantic mode; she records her hard falls for brutes, sycophants and gay-identified father figures in painstaking detail. I imagine she was an undertow in real life, but in print she’s glamour and genius.

LeDuc's prose is consistently amazing. Observe:

“Judge me. I could have taken him to some disused barn. I could have said to him, here is our home, we will cut our steaks from the rumps of their herds, my darling, a shepherd will lend us his cloak and there are hedges to plunder while the great wind blusters around us.”

Officially one of my favorite books ever.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La Bâtarde.

02/21 marked as: read

message 1: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison Floyd This sounds really interesting--I eagerly await your verdict. Also, I must know--what, praytell, is so wrong with her physical appearance?

Leslie My reading of this is on hold until I finish up the semester. At this point she is still in the single digits, but I'll keep you posted as the mystery of her physical appearance unfolds . . .