Karen's Reviews > Black Heart Blue

Black Heart Blue by Louisa Reid

Jul 30, 12

Read from July 29 to 30, 2012

When I started reading Black Heart Blue, I found it hard to like the two main characters. Hephzibah seemed stereotypically annoying, while Rebecca seemed to be too shy and weak, as though she refused to help herself or make an effort to have a life. As I got into the story though, I started to admire them both, especially Rebecca. Mostly I preferred Rebecca in the After chapters (chapters were seperated into Before and After an event) because I could see how much she had grown and developed as a character. I also grew quite fond of Hephzibah. The characters were completely different in an obvious way, but I found that they both seemed to want to take care of each other and protect each other. While they both had different personalities, it felt as though their differences is what made them whole. They didn't always agree with each other and at times they had their disagreements, but I feel as though their relationship was really caring and deep, so that their disagreements couldnt really break them apart.

I found it interesting the way they referred to their parents as The Parents, The Mother, and The Farther, as though they were trying to create some sort of emotional distance by calling them that. My hatred for The Parents cannot be put into words.

Additional characters like Craig and Danny were also really great characters. I did find that Craig seemed a little bit of a confusing character at times though. He kept surprising me because his personality seemed all over the place at times. I definitely adored Craig near the end though.

The storyline itself complete pulled me in and had me on the edge of my seat. I wanted to know what would happen next. I loved how the chapters alternated between Before, After, Hephzibah, and Rebecca.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart Blue.

07/29/2012 page 59
07/30/2012 page 205
77.0% "I seriously don't want to stop reading this book omg"
show 3 hidden updates…