Heidi's Reviews > Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters

Going Gray by Anne Kreamer

Dec 17, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction, from-library-umrl, via-margaret-throsby
Read in December, 2008

Disappointing.

The author was interviewed by Margaret Throsby on ABC Classic FM earlier in the year, and it sounded like a fascinating book. But the interview turned out to have been far more interesting than the book. Kreamer's context is so far removed from my own (she randomly ends up at dinner parties with Anna Devere-Smith, for example), and as my mother pointed out to me, she's also from a distinctly different generation, one that grew up adhering to general expectations on hemlines and the appropriate use of hats and gloves, etc.

I know that my own anti-hair-colouring stance is an oddity amongst my own peer group, but are women really that concerned about gray in their hair? Those I know who colour their hair do so "for fun", or to emphasise rather than eliminate grays. (And I do know two women who have begun to go gray in their late twenties/early thirties.)

The book may be subtitled "What I learned about beauty, sex, work, motherhood, authenticity, and everything else that really matters", but I didn't feel that I learned anything much beyond a confirmation that there's a society out there that I just don't understand.

(On the topic of work, Kreamer's life is so dominated by the entertainment industry - she worked for MTV and set up the Nickelodeon cable channel - that she can't see past it. Even when she supposedly was looking at people who work in the "corporate" sector, it was the corporate section of entertainment-based companies. She had a throw-away line about appearance not being "as important" in medicine, law and academia - which to me only proves that she didn't really look into law at all.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Gray.

12/11/2008 page 29
12.95% "and finding it very hard to relate to (as it's about dyeing one's hair.)"
12/14/2008 page 132
58.93% "finding it interesting but irksome"