Sarah's Reviews > The Garden of Happy Endings

The Garden of Happy Endings by Barbara O'Neal

Jul 28, 12

I picked this up because Gayle recommended it, and then was somewhat disconcerted when I started it and discovered it was about a woman grappling with her faith. This is not territory I usually pursue, as I'm not terribly interested in feel-good Christian fiction. The story: after the violent death of one of her young parishioners, the Reverend starts falling apart, and takes a leave of absence to grapple with her doubts. She goes home to Colorado, during which her sister discovers that her husband is a Bernie Madoff figure. She finds this out when federal agents seize her home, all of her possessions, and her bank accounts. She has seventeen dollars in her wallet and she has to figure out what she is going to do, since her husband has disappeared and she has no marketable skills, other than quilting. They two sisters try to regain their equilibrium and find peace. This was meaty and interesting, and it never devolved into simplistic isn't-Jesus-great fiction. I liked that they were able to talk about their spirituality without it being overwhelming, or off-putting. And I liked that although they were spiritual leaders, it didn't mean they don't also have doubts. All in all, I thought it was pretty interesting, well-done enough that I'm interested in reading more of her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Garden of Happy Endings.