Annie's Reviews > Happiness Sold Separately

Happiness Sold Separately by Lolly Winston

Nov 22, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in November, 2008, read count: 2x

It's telling that I thought I hadn't read this book when I checked it out from the library, then while reading, it slowly floated back into my consciousness and I realized that yes I had read this before. So to sum it up in one word, forgettable. This book is a fluffy read with not much substance, but to be fair I haven't experienced (thank heavens!) any of the struggles the other characters endured (infertility, an affair, child-out-of-wedlock, a stabbing). But I haven't had my husband die young either and absolutely loved Good Grief; Lolly Wiston's other novel. Happiness Sold Separately, is about Elinor Mackey, a successful lawyer, who is battling infertility problems with her husband, a podiatrist, Ted. In her misery, she has retreated to the laundry room and spends most of her time there, sorting, washing and folding clothes. Soon she discovers that Ted is having an affair with his personal trainer, Gina. The novel descends into a meandering journey of random characters and unconvincing plot twists. I did like how the cleaning man, Roger, left items in his clients beds that he thought could add something to their life: rose petals, a leaf, a sheet of music. I also thought the book was quite unfair to my favorite character, Elinor. The ending is highly improbable and it felt as if nothing was resolved. Read Good Grief instead.

Favorite Quote:
"Now the relentless honking of a car alarm makes Elinor want to drive Kat's minivan through the serene pyramid of apples and strawberries just outside the store."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happiness Sold Separately.