Nicole's Reviews > I Am Alive

F 50x66
Jul 29, 12

Read on July 28, 2012

OKAY. HERE'S THE THING:

Did I download an unedited version of this book, for free, on the Kindle, or is I Am Alive just a grammatical hot mess? O__o

The incorrect punctuation and missing/wrong words KILLLLLLED me. There were commas where periods should be and periods where commas should be. There was incorrect usage of some words and their tenses, or missing words in the sentence.

Seriously, what the heck? There were so. many. errors that it distracted me from the plot and dropped this review by two stars. Was it just me? I don't think it's capable for a real book to look like this:

-"Had I been born in the Amerikas, I would've been thirteen and a half years old by now. In their times, a sixteen-year-old - still considered a thirteen by their standards - did not have the strength, hormones, and alert mind like we have in my world. It's called evolution. The human mind and physique adapt according to their needs, coping with the natural changes in the world as it advances through the ages. Dinosaurs become extinct. Monkey becomes man. A thirteen year old becomes a sixteen year old. The world has evolved. Mankind has evolved." - Okay, what? This is kind of grammatically correct, but still not understandable. I didn't get this sentence. Maybe I'm stupid, but the way this thought is conveyed is confusing. This shows the general way sentences are formed throughout the book.

-This is what every other quote looked like: "Blablablabla." he said. There should be a COMMA between the last bla and the quotation mark. Am I right?

As for the plot, it wasn't the most original. To be honest, the general outline for the Monster Show seems like it was ripped from the Hunger Games and then heavily tweaked to make it seem like it wasn't.

You have thousands of 16 year old "Monsters" that are thrown into the show to die. You win when you survive for three days and beat the Carnivore - a vicious monster. It's somewhat unique, but not unique enough, y'know?

Maybe, if this book was actually proofread, the plot would be more understandable. It just wasn't.

Now, the characters.

Decca - Our lovely protagonist. Meh. Katniss copy. Enters the game because of a sacrifice identical to Katniss stepping in for her sister. She's got good survival instincts and doesn't give up. Good for her. Decca's also kind of bratty instead of bold and impulsive instead of brave.

Leo - Stereotypical brooding, quiet (view spoiler) love interest who smirks a lot and is a great fighter. Completely predictable, but any romance is better than none, I suppose, in a book like this.

*too lazy to add in the others*

*this review shall be edited soon, with PICTURESSS, so hold on, y'all*
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Alive.

07/28/2012
14.0% "This book is a punctuation screw up. There are periods where commas should be and lots of opportunity to use contractions. This is really annoying me."
07/28/2012
21.0% "This book is kind of terrible. Idea? Good. Way it's conveyed? NOT so good."
07/28/2012
100.0% "Wow. This is the ultimate love/hate relationship between me and a book."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Watts I think this author self-publishes, I noticed alot of errors in another one of his books "Insanity" and it put me off reading the second one, despite the storyline being great.

message 2: by Becky (new)