Mary's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Aug 05, 2012

bookshelves: favorite-authors, favorite-books
Read from July 28 to August 05, 2012

When I heard the movie was due out in October, I decided to reread this wonderful book. Mitchell is a wonderful writer. He is truly an artist.

If you have not read this novel, please do so. It contains six separate but interlinked stories that are set from the 19th century into the far future. Each story is a fascinating tale in its own right. One of the themes that stretches through all the stories is man's inhumanity to man both on a one to one basis and on a systemic basis. Another theme is how we are all linked together even over time in our universe. For example, Luisa reading some letters that had been sent to the character Sixsmith in the distant past inhales the paper and remarks that the letters contain atoms from that distant time period. In additional, the main characters are all reincarnations of each other and that is represented in the novel by each of them bearing the same distinct birthmark.

This novel is somewhat of a challenge for readers because most of the stories are broken apart. For example the first tale is finished in the last section of the novel. But don't let this narrative technique disuade you from reading this work.

If you do will, you will miss out on meeting some of literature's most interesting characters, reading beautiful prose, and enjoying wonderful stories. This novel was just as good on rereading as it was the first time through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.