Barbara's Reviews > The Girl with Borrowed Wings

The Girl with Borrowed Wings by Rinsai  Rossetti

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: animals, families, fantasy, friendship, reading, school, romance
Read in July, 2012

Living in an oasis with her very controlling father and her detached mother, seventeen-year-old Frenenquer Paje watches her life growing ever more restricted by the day. Because of the notice men pay to her when she ventures outside, she hardly goes on walks anymore. Much of her free time is spent reading and rereading the stacks of books she has in her room. Her father has been molding her to fulfill his idea of perfection almost since birth, and often behaves quite cruelly toward her, at one point removing all her reading material. She and her friend Anju attend an inferior school where Anju makes sure that Frenenquer stays organized and makes it to class on time. It isn't a great life, but it is all she's ever known. One day, though, she rescues a cat from the market place during a family trip. The cat turns out to by one of the Free persons, able to shift into various forms, including human. Sangris has wings and uses them to take the teen all over the world. Readers will quickly realize that Sangris is falling in love with Frenenquer, and he may represent one way to escape the oppressive world in which she lives. But she has become skilled at turning off her emotions to protect herself from her parents, and denies her love for him.

This highly imaginative book addresses several interesting themes about identity and love and is filled with beautiful language as well as raising all sorts of questions about taking risks. While some parts of the title are confusing, and it isn't clear exactly how the two will navigate any future they might have, it left me pondering why some of us are so willing to take risks on relationships while others are not. I look forward to reading more from this talented new writer.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl with Borrowed Wings.

message 1: by J (new) - rated it 1 star

J I really want to read this one too!!!

Barbara It's really quite different, but I loved the writing quite a lot. Let me know what you think.

message 3: by J (new) - rated it 1 star

J Just ordered this book!!!

message 4: by Rani (new)

Rani I want to read it too!