Meagan's Reviews > Bound Temptations

Bound Temptations by Shiloh Walker

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: fiction, romance, short_stories
Read in July, 2012

What I didn't realize when I started this book is that it was actually two books bound together. So, I began the first story. There was an intriguing setup involving a mysterious stalker. A heroine I could like, between her curvy figure and her confident manner and business sense. A hero with a really terrible fiancee, so terrible that the fact he chose her in the first place kind of made you wonder about him. I was also expecting an element of BDSM, based on the title, so perhaps its notable absence should have been my first clue. But here I was, just getting into the mystery of the corset shop owner's terrifying stalker and the soon-to-be hot romance with the rich businessman, when boom. The story is over. The stalker is caught with very little effort or fanfare. And then I knew: I didn't have a novel. I had two novellas.

I'm not anti-novella in general, but I do think that it's very, very difficult to do short form fiction well. The shorter the fiction, the more difficult it is to craft. Epic novels may take talent and work, but an excellent short story writer exhibits much greater skill, in my opinion. Sadly, the short form was not very kind to Shiloh Walker in these two novellas. I didn't get the character development I wanted. The relationships were jammed into a space too small for them. The plot never truly unfurled into full potential. They could have been good. Which is what made the mediocrity so disappointing.

**A free copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound Temptations.