Konain's Reviews > The Crippled God

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson

Jan 09, 15

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from July 28 to August 15, 2012 — I own a copy

It is no small feat to wrap up a story spread over millions of in-novel years involving gazillion characters and locations and which took, I believe, 11 real-time years and 10 books!!! But I think Erikson pretty well managed to pull it off.

Taken in isolation the book has all the staple features of Erikson. Drama, suspense, good use of changing POVs and huge battles. And in this 1000+ page tome there was only once or twice that I had my interest wavered, apart from that, the story is well-knit and fast paced.

The pitfalls I found were,
One. Some of the story threads were left loose. It would have been better if Erikson had devoted at least a para in the epilogue, probably, to them. For example (view spoiler)

Second. Waiting for some of the explanations remained....well.....waitinggggg. For example (view spoiler) I think Erikson should have covered some of them in the penultimate book. But he filled Dust of Dreams with philosophical monologues and made it the weakest book in the series.

But all in all considering the truly epic nature of the series and that the world that has been created should have more novels (maybe explaining the above), I salute the author. Bravo!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crippled God.

07/28/2012 page 112