Jamie (LadyJai) Dement's Reviews > The First Confessor

The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind

Jul 28, 2012

Read from July 28 to August 25, 2012

ZOMBIES!

What can I say, I'm a sucker for Zombies! While Goodkind doesn't blatantly come right out and say the word, or even give them a prominent role in the book (I'm sure they will have one in the later books), they are there. And this rendition is fresh, at least for me. I like that he's mixed the magical element into it. I love the concept he's instilled in their use.

And, come on, who doesn't love zombies?

But aside from that, I know that Goodkind has gotten back into his groove. This book cements my theory that he did not write The Omen Machine. Goodkind has gotten back into his groove. The characters, though borrowing mannerisms from previous characters, have the love/hate qualities you come to expect from Goodkind's world. This is a story, expounded upon from the tales weaved through The Temple of the Winds of Barraccus and Lothain. And I'm sure some of the Magda & Merritt details had been splattered throughout the other 12 books as he gives up pieces to the histories of the Confessors. I've fallen hard for the relationship that Magda and Merritt are building together.

And, even though the stories of the Great War fought by wizards from both the Old and New Worlds have been weaved throughout The Sword of Truth series, there is a hint that what we've already learned, the facts about that history written in books for future generations, may not be the truth.

Goodkind has redeemed himself with this book, in my eyes. His journey and determination into self-publishing is amazing. I commend him for his reasons, and am glad to have supported him in this endeavor. Although I do enjoy the tactile feel and smell of printed books, the eBook is so much easier, less space, and it "should" be less money than the printed piece.

Can't wait for the next installment of Magda and Merritt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Confessor.

08/03/2012