Lady of the Lake's Reviews > The Monk

The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis

Nov 22, 08

bookshelves: classics, gothic, mythic-fiction
Read in November, 2008

While this book was nor the HORROR it may have been in 1796 when it was first published it was a fantastic Gothic book. I had to keep reminding myself that not only was this actually written in 1796 but by a young man the age of 19! He obviously had some issues with the catholic church and the convents..does not portray a flattering view of these here! I will leave you to read the other reviews here as they are all very good and much better than I am at expressing what it is I need to say.
I had this book in my TBR mountain for quite a long time and for one reason or another I kept skipping it over as I went to the mountain to choose a book..but I am happy that I finally pulled it out and read it. It was a little confusing to me at the start through to the middle as I got a grasp on how the author would jump to and fro between the characters stories and how they connected to one another... but once I understood what was going on it wasn't a problem.
I have to say though that the poetry included in this story is something special. As The Monk was Lewis's first novel he was also widely respected as an accomplished poet. I can see why!
I really liked this book and I am happy to own it and I will keep it to revisit again in the future perhaps. If not..I will smile knowing it is among all my other great friends on the ABR mountain! (already been read)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monk.

11/16/2008 page 216
48.21% "This book is very hard to put down...confusung in many ways yet it makes perfect sense..hmmm..."