Dolce Amore 's Reviews > A Scandalous Affair

bookshelves: arc, net-gallery, loved-it
Read in July, 2012

Reviewed for Confessions from Romaholics

To See Review at Confessions from Romaholics

When Hugh tells his sister Daphne, the widowed Countess of Pomeroy, that she should remarry, she makes clear that that it’s not simple, showing a delightful humor. I couldn’t stop smiling while reading A Scandalous Affair. Wouldn’t it be great if finding a husband would be like Daphne says?

You make it sound like a purchase. ‘I’ll take that gown, the straw hat, the beautiful lace gloves and one husband, please.’

But Hugh has decided to have her married so he convinces her to host a masquerade in her honor so she can easily find a man of her own choosing.

We can invite a herd of titled gentlemen who are in dire need of a wife and line them up for your perusal.

When she meets Camden, the Marquess of Hartwell, she knows he is the man she wants. Excusing her boldness while chasing him because he could probably rival any Italian statue when unclothed, she is decided to have him. Only she can see the vulnerability and loneliness in his eyes. However, after they dance he leaves the masquerade.

A month later, after convincing her brother to introduce her to the marquess, Daphne tries to make him understand that she wants to know him better. Oh, gosh, I loved the scene where Daphne follows him from the ballroom and convince him to dance, one more time with her. This time just them alone, in the room where he is hiding.

“You’re very graceful.”

“And you’re a flatterer.”

“I merely speak the truth. You dance wonderfully.”

“Perhaps it’s my partner.” Ah, and now he flirted, something he never did.

When Daphne invites Camden to a supper party, an intimate supper party, he never thought they would dine alone and would end up in bed. Daphne is a very persuasive woman and she charms him. Yet, when he disappears for two long weeks, is he hiding from her or is he having business to do?

I absolutely love Hugh. After seeing his sister sad since Pomeroy has passed, he wants her happy. He is sure that having a husband and children will give her the happiness she deserves. He is the perfect brother: protecting, loving and teasing, of course, his little sister.

“You make me sound like a cow about to be put out to pasture.”

“I would never be so rude.” He glowered for a fierce moment before his lips curved into a grin. “At least, I haven’t been that rude to you in years.”

The Marquess of Hartwell was called many names: Black Hart, the cold, calculating marquess. Yet it is his stutter that keeps him from showing the warm and wonderful man that is inside the man. No one manage to see it until Daphne. And what man could resist a woman who can see who he truly is? No one.

Daphne, the widowed Countess of Pomeroy, is the perfect heroine. Beautiful, charming and daring (Camden, the marquess, is to blame for this change in her comportment), she goes after her heart’s desire, Camden. She ambushes him, she asks him to kiss her, and she invites him to a very private supper party where she expects to have him for dessert. Her belief in Camden is total, she instinctively knows that what she sees in his eyes is the truth and not the rumors everyone is bandying about.

“I don’t believe the rumors, Camden.” A thrill shot up her spine at saying his name. “I don’t think you’re cold or arrogant or rude. I certainly don’t think you have a black ‘Hart,’ as I’ve heard whispered about you more than once.”

If you didn’t realize already, I love the characters. They are deep and strong and full of passion. Ms. Karen Erickson had written a wonderful historical romance and I totally recommend it.5 couples.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scandalous Affair.