bookczuk's Reviews > Ape House

Ape House by Sara Gruen

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: audio, listened-in-the-car, made-me-look-something-up, taught-me-something
Read from July 28 to 30, 2012

I was about half way through this before I realized the author was the same one who swept me away with Water for Elephants. Maybe it was because I listened to the audio version while driving in the car, (though I suspect it was more something with the book itself), but I didn't get that same "can't put it down" feeling I did with her previous book. However, that's not to say this wasn't a good ear read. Though I didn't really get into the human characters, I loved learning about the bonobos. These great apes were my elder brother's favorites -- their intelligence, and antics, (plus I suspect their sexual antics) fascinated him, and remember in the last year of his life, some animated stories he told that involved them.

Equally fascinating for me was the bit the author wrote on Goodreads about how she got involved/interested in the great apes. That was the saving grace for me. I love books that teach me something, and this one did. Plus, there was a reference to something that sounded a lot like BookCrossing, with the setting free of a book "in the wild", aka the radiology department of a hospital.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ape House.

07/29/2012
40.0% "Listening to the audio of Ape House, by Sara Gruen, and heard a reference to finding a book then setting it free "in the wild" at a Radiology waiting room in a Kansas City hospital. Hmmm... what a concept!"