Carol's Reviews > The Duke Is Mine

The Duke Is Mine by Eloisa James

F_50x66
Jul 28, 12

There is no reason to set up the plot, the back of the book and many readers here have already done so.

I must start by saying that I absolutely loved "When Beauty Tamed the Beast". That book turned me into an Eloisa James fan. So much so that when Borders was liquidating their inventory, I snapped up all of her books they had in stock.

While there is comedy, good writing and characters that definitely let me know that this IS the same writer who wrote "Beauty/Beast", it did not have the magical twist on the fairy tale for me.

There is a lot of debate here about how James and her heroine treat the character of Rupert, the original cognitively challenged fiance. Truthfully, I think James played it BOTH ways. In the opening Olivia and her sister are petty in their remarks about the fiance. I think James should have come up with another plot device other than mental deficiency to make this an unhappy groom for Olivia. Really, the fact that he is a teenager and she is a grown woman is enough of a turn off/problem.

The last quarter of the book is spent redeeming Olivia for her snarkiness about Rupert and to take the edge off the fact that she stole a man intended for her sister with very little conscience. The last bit feels out of place, took. The hero/heroine have already sealed the deal and headed for their HEA, and then they gallop off to have an adventure.

There were vague things, the mattress part really contrived, and the disapproving mother of the hero to give a nod to "The Princess and the Pea".

I'm actually OK with current language and attitudes creeping into a historical romance, but a character to do homage to Justin Bieber is just silly.

Eloisa James is a talented romance writer. She honestly just seemed to get a little sloppy with this novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke Is Mine.