Patty's Reviews > The World to Come

The World to Come by Dara Horn

1020899
Nov 16, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, 2008-bookgroup, family, fantasy, folk-tales, fiction, historical-fiction, immigrant-experience, judaism, literature, magic, religion, storytelling, women-writers, american-literature, russia
Read in November, 2008 , read count: 1

Oh my! I am not sure what I was expecting from this book, but it was much more than I had hoped. Sometimes, I find the books we read for book group just ho hum. Not this one.

I am going to have to read this book again. Dara Horn covered so much material and I am not sure that I got even half of it.

The books seems to start off simply. A painting by Chagall is stolen from a museum by a young man who remembers that it belonged to his family. The reader then travels back in forth in time to learn more about the man, his family, the painting and ideas that can only be dreams.

The World to Come is realistic fiction, tied up with historical facts from Russia and Vietnam, with a dash of fantasy and Jewish folktales. Historical figures meet fictional inventions and amazingly the whole book hangs together.

Dara Horn has the most amazing imagination and grasp of Jewish and Russian history. I was blown away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World to Come.