Jennifer Conrad's Reviews > Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut

Talking to Girls About Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: essays
Read in July, 2012

I'll be honest: I only read this book because it had Duran Duran in the title. I knew it was a bunch of essays, but I couldn't resist my favorite band from my youth. Luckily, I was given this book, so I didn't actually spend any money on it.

With that said, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Yes, I love 80s music and have an addiction to pop music from any era, so I was a little more open to the topic of Sheffield's essays. I'll be the first to admit that this guy has a great writing voice and some very amusing stories. He also worked the lyrics from many different 80s songs into his essays seamlessly. Unfortunately, his tie in to whichever song he used as the title for the essay. So, while I was expecting some story revolving around Culture Club's "I'll Tumble 4 Ya", I ended up reading more about the arrival of MTV and a debate on which bands were new wave or not.

There were some fantastic lines in this book, and I really enjoyed a number of the essays. For example, he spends one essay comparing Paul McCartney to a bossy Irish sister ("the Alsatian" or Doberman of the family who forces other people to get things done) and talking about how McCartney's monogamy with Linda McCartney ruined Sheffield's life. There's a hilarious essay about his summer working as an ice cream man. There's another about cassingles and his favorite cassingle hits, and still another about John Hughes movies. But, my favorite was, OF COURSE, the essay that dealt with Duran Duran and why they remain popular (because they're okay being pop stars and having mainly girl fans--they just don't feel the need to prove themselves to guys, explained Sheffield [who loves DD]).

A number of the essays mentioned songs with which I'm not entirely familiar. Others dealt with his Catholic beliefs, lack of girlfriends as he was growing up, and just his obsession with music.

The essay were amusing, but not anything I could really use in my high school classroom--or with anyone who wasn't at least in their double digits during the 80s. I don't feel the need to keep this book--luckily, I got it for free.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talking to Girls About Duran Duran.