Joella www.cinjoella.com's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: audio, dystopia, young-adult, sci-fi
Read from July 28 to 31, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Lena lives in a world where people are afraid of the most deadly disease. Love. It can kill you if you have it and it can kill you if you don't. To protect society around the age of 17 each person goes through a procedure. Then you don't have to worry about love.

Three months before Lena turns 17 her world starts turning upside-down. Her best friend Hana starts to break rules and start conversations that shouldn't be started. Then Lena meets Alex. He makes her question everything that society has taught her. What is right? What is wrong? What is love?

This was a good book to listen to. There were moments that I had to stop the project I was working on just to listen to the book. Sarah Drew did an amazing job reading. And the book was good as well. Kudos to Lauren Oliver for creating a world where so many crazy unthinkable things could happen in such a "believable" way.

However. The ending killed me. Really. Call me a hopeless romantic. Call me a girl who needs a good dose of hope at the end. Call me what you will...but this ending would have had me sitting in shock if not of the fact that I actually kept thinking that Lena and Alex couldn't get away with everything. So off I rushed to read the description of book number 2 (yeah, this is another trilogy) and there was no mention of a particular character. I about tore my hair out. My favorite character wasn't even mentioned in the plot line of book 2 when there was an ending like that in book 1? Yeah. I wasn't happy. I finally read some Amazon reviews to find out a little more. That made me feel a touch better. But not much.

I think I will have to finish the series. But I might just wait until book three comes out...so I won't lose any more hair after book 2. And possibly this is one that I will read some spoilers before hand. Otherwise I don't know if I can take it. I just need a little Happily Every After , ya know?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

07/28/2012 page 190

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Raina Srsly. I can't wait till Oliver writes another first YA book. She's one of my favs.