Bonnie's Reviews > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Nov 16, 2008

bookshelves: classics, reviewed-books, to-reread
Read in January, 1972

There was a time in my life when I couldn’t get enough of reading Dostoevsky. Maybe because his books made me think so deeply about being human and how we choose to live our lives. I began with Crime and Punishment, probably the work he is best known for.

What I remember is being fascinated by Dostoevsky’s brilliant understanding of human nature. I remember thinking what a deep study this book was; an incredible examination of a man who commits murder and how he is “punished” for it.

I remember thinking that here was a master storyteller. Not only able to create complex characters, but able to take the reader deeply inside a character’s mind. Best of all, I remember that I would stop reading periodically and think; not a mindless read, but an absorbing one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime and Punishment.

01/30/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Alessia This is exactly how I felt while reading this book. I wondered at Dostoevskij's ability to make you stop and think about the meaning of the word "human", about our choices and the consequences of what we do, about what is wrong and what is right both for ourselves and for other people. Thank you for pointing it out and making me remember!

Estefania I was very surprised first time I read this book. I still remember it came to my mind the image of a human nature surgeon. I've never met a writer who does more observable human soul, and with such rigor. And if someone knows any other one I would really appreciate recommendations.

Elene Dostoevsky is my favourite writer,i had the luck to read it in Russian,he writes perfectly.after reading crime and punishment,during the months i was thinking about it.He is a great psychologist. In this book i was impressed with the character named Svydrigailov,the man who couldn't find a fridge between the goodness and evil.

message 8: by Viswanathan (new)

Viswanathan Venkataraman Your first paragraph articulates my thoughts. The first line is exactly what I went through. That was in 60's and 70's and when i look back Dostoevsky still remains as an author who left deep impact on me. Yuu have expressed the sentiments very well.

Allyson Silva I couldn't of had said it better myself! What a remarkable story-teller!

Janith Pathirage These stories portrait his own life experiences... Dostoevsky has suffered like hell.

message 5: by Alexander (new) - added it

Alexander Barto Stupid

message 4: by Alexander (new) - added it

Alexander Barto Stupid

Tiko Hightower Just finished.and exactly what i think.I woudl stop reading and start thinking too.Not every book causes that.

message 2: by Sajeev (new) - added it

Sajeev Jesa My favourite book.Dostyevski succeeds in examining the complex mind of the 'killer' and portrays his sufferings, beliefs and punishment.

message 1: by Sajeev (new) - added it

Sajeev Jesa A true masterpiece by the great author.