Christina Gagliano's Reviews > The Sixty-Eight Rooms

The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone

Aug 12, 12

Read in August, 2012

As a review excerpt on the book says, "Marianne Malone has tapped into a fantasy that is. . .completely universal," which is the power of this book. Who hasn't dreamed that they can be transported somewhere else in space and time and play the hero, or the rich girl, or the famous actress, etc.? This book connected with me because, just as author Marianne Malone used to visit the Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago and fantasize about living in the rooms, I used to visit the First Ladies' Hall at the Smithsonian and imagine that the mannequins came to life at night after everyone left and visit with each other and help each other out (how to remove spilled tea on Angelica Van Buren's blue velvet dress after several of the first ladies had a tea party is one that stands out). I wrote a story about it when I was 9 or 10 that I had great plans of turning into a novel--wouldn't it be fun to get my hands on the story again for a good laugh! Anyway, this book was definitely a fun, breezy read, though I don't feel the need to read the sequel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sixty-Eight Rooms.