Barbara's Reviews > I Will Come Back for You: A Family in Hiding During World War II

I Will Come Back for You by Marisabina Russo

Jul 28, 2012

bookshelves: families, holocaust, picture-book, war
Read in July, 2012

WW II is a topic not covered in many children's books, which makes this title a welcome addition to the materials that are available to teachers and their students. Not only does it fill a gap, but the book tells the story of hiding from the Nazis during the Holocaust in an engaging fashion. Because it is based on the experiences of the author's own family in Italy, the story is especially poignant. The story begins with a granddaughter's facination with the charm bracelet her grandmother wears. Each charm--a donkey, a piano, a bicycle, a piglet, a barn, a spinning wheel, and a boat, all have important parts in the grandmother's story of how she and her family survived, thanks to the help and guile of family friends who eventually smuggled the children from the farm where they were hiding to another area where their mother was hiding. The gouache illustrations show the love of the family while the actual photographs on the endpapers capture the children's innocent joy before the Nazis came.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Will Come Back for You.