Matt's Reviews > Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training

Teach Them Diligently by Lou Priolo

Jan 20, 09

bookshelves: christian, relationships
Recommended for: Christian parents
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

This is a pretty good book on parenting. I do appreciate his emphasis on making sure you are reaching the heart when parenting. He provides lots of thought-provoking questions to ask your kids when correcting them as well as trying to shepherd them.
Sometimes, he can be a little hard core when he lumps people into "psychobabble" molds. It is either pyschobabble or his, biblical camp. Or, at least this was the impression I got from some of his statements.
On a funny note, he is giving instruction on how to communicate the Bible to kids. So he writes, "Be sure to use vocabulary commensurate with your child's ability to understand." This sentence is quite a mouthful considering what he is trying to say. So, knowing it needs explanation, he follows it with helpful parenthetical words - "Eschew obfuscation." I thought it was ironic that while he was talking about putting trith on the cookie shelf level, he uses difficult and abstract terms!
Overall, I think this is a great book and I do identify with other reviews that say it can be overwhelming as well. It has already been a huge help to me, especially in the apology and asking forgiveness section for kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teach Them Diligently.

12/15/2008 page 71