Kristine Kohut's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Nov 16, 08

Pretty boring, but the ending was worth it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

Jessica Kris,

I am impressed with you honesty about reading this novel.

What were the redeeming qualities in the ending?

Kristine Kohut Without spoiling it, the story rounded out with all the dramatic irony I was longing for. All the tedium of Bilbo's journey started to come together and the pieces fit! Honestly, I think the ending was God-inspired. The first time I tried to read it, I was reading it out loud to a class of 7th graders for summerschool. We all were totally bored. It's one of my husband's favorite novels ever, so I plowed through it on a road trip via audio book. 3/4 through it, I told him I still couldn't like it. Then I had to call him back by the end...it turned the book from hum-drum to classic.

Jessica I actually read it only in 7th or 8th grade. I did not find or enjoy the dramatic irony. I think it is great that you are reading it to your summer school students.

I agree the end is excellent, but does that excuse the dullness of the rest of the novel?

Kristine Kohut Not for most people. I had to read it...it's that close to my husband's heart. But when it was the summer school kids' and me, we chucked it and tried a different book.

Jessica what book did you read to the students after you chucked The Hobbit?

Kristine Kohut I don't remember! It was about 5 years ago that I last taught summer school.