Jen Ryland's Reviews > Auracle

Auracle by Gina Rosati

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: debut-challenge-2012
Read in July, 2012

There were a lot of things I liked about this book. The set-up is clever and well thought out. Body switching is a familiar concept in both YA fiction (Freaky Friday or Don't You Wish) and the movies (The Change-Up, 17 Again) but the concept of astral projection is an interesting one, and not something I've seen before in YA.

I especially loved the astral projection musical chairs -- taking the idea of body switching and then removing one body out of play -- that is set up in Auracle. Anna witnesses the death of Taylor, then discovers that Taylor has "stolen" her body. That leaves Anna literally out in the cold, unable to stop Taylor from blaming Anna's good friend Seth for her murder.

The only problem I had with this book -- and this is just my own preference as a reader, not a flaw in the book -- is that based on Auracle's cover and blurb, I was expecting paranormal suspense. I wanted this book to be a thriller, focusing on Anna's high-stakes struggle to get her body back and exonerate her friend. According to the high school rumor mill, Taylor did some pretty bad stuff in her past, and I would have liked it even better if she had tried to pin her murder on Anna.

Instead, Auracle was more of a dramedy. It was suspenseful at times, but this alternated with a whole lot of funny, which is not exactly what I thought I was signing on for. Want to hear more? Read full review on my blog:

My Auracle Review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Auracle.