Tony's Reviews > Without Feathers

Without Feathers by Woody Allen

Nov 16, 08

bookshelves: essays
Read in November, 2008

Allen, Woody. WITHOUT FEATHERS. (1975). *****. I’m a big fan of Woody, and was glad I read this one again. The plan is to reread all of his writings. It’s been a long time. Being a fan, I can’t help but give this one a five-star rating. Where else will you find essays on such diverse subjects as the Dead Sea Scrolls,
“Scholars will recall that several years ago a shepherd, wandering in the Gulf of Aqaba, stumbled upon a cave containing several large clay jars and also two tickets to the ice show. Inside the jars were discovered six parchment scrolls with ancient incomprehensible writing which the shepherd, in his ignorance, sold to the museum for $750,000 each.” And some new Laws and Proverbs: “The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won’t get much sleep,” and, “The wicked at heart probably know something.”
and “Slang Origins”:
“How many of you have ever wondered where certain slang expressions came from? Like ‘She’s the cat’s pajamas,’ or to ‘take it on the lam.’ Neither have I.”
The book is full of typical Allen wit and humor from his early days where he was still mainly a stand-up comic. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Without Feathers.