Nicole's Reviews > The Litigators

The Litigators by John Grisham

Jul 28, 12

Read in May, 2012

gave up on John Grisham about 10 years ago when I was appalled at how horrible The Summons was! What happened to the hard-hitting author who had me on the edge of my seat and questioning the ever-moving ethical line between right and wrong with his early novels? A Time to Kill. The Firm. The Rainmaker. I loved those books.

After a decade of abandonment, two things happened: 1) I met Mr. Grisham several times and determined he needed another chance and 2) I heard that The Litigators was a return to his roots. I disagree with "return to his roots" but the book was enjoyable.

The law firm of Finley & Figg is not glamorous. The two man shop chances ambulances, convinced uncontested divorces to fight, and barely eek out a living in Chicago. David Zinc is billing $500 an hour buried in the basement of a megafirm doing grunt work and couldn't hate it more. When these two universes merge over a litigation suit against a big drug company, they quickly realize they are in over their heads.

The storyline was fine. It was a bit predictable and I enjoyed the crazy characters of Oscar Finley and Wally Figg much more than the straight-laced and ever golden David Zinc, but it was entertaining. However, it lacked the intensity of Mr. Grisham's classics. He switched from questioning the ethics of big name companies and their deceptive CEOs to questioning the ethics of average people living in near poverty who were too anxious to make a quick buck. Everyone likes to beat up on the rich unethical CEO, but picking on Average Joe - or below-Average Joe in this case - wasn't as easy. However, in typical Grisham fashion, he did make me think about the motivations behind actions.

For me, the most glaring short fall was that this took place in Chicago. CHICAGO?! I have come to association Grisham with sweltering heat, slow drawls, and the courtesies of the South. Having his roots in Mississippi always brought a touch of authenticity to the setting of his books and I missed that connection. There was no specific Chicago culture to spice up this books and it could have been identically placed in any number of big cities.

All in all, I did enjoy the book. It was a fast paced, enjoyable read, that was the perfect start of summer read. However, I think I need to come to grips with the fact that Mr. Grisham's early works were simply outstanding and a hard bar to meet again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Litigators.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Antionette Oh my...my relationship waned slightly after the Summons too. He redeemed himself with the Confession...superb!